In my professional opinion, Malwarebytes is the best ‘free’ program for removing any type of spyware/malware that may have gotten into your computer system.
I recommend running this program once every two weeks. Like all programs like this, it is important to update it each time before you run it.
Malwarebytes is super easy to use and simply put, very effective.
Here are some instructions for getting it all setup on your computer.
- Go to http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free and click on the Download Now button in the FREE column (you will probably get redirected to CNET to actually download the program)
- Run the setup and install with all the default selections
- While installing, make sure that these two selections are checked:
- After clicking Finish, the program will go out and update
- If you get prompted to Start Trial, just click Decline
- Click Scan to perform a Quick Scan
- After the scan is done, there will be a log file that pops up – just close it out
- Click the Show Results button to see what objects have been found for removal
- Click Remove Selected (I recommend always removing anything it finds)
- After it’s done removing the infected items, another log file will pop up. Saving it is completely up to you. I typically do not save these.
- In most cases, you will get prompted to reboot your computer in order for all elements to be properly removed
- After reboot, your computer or laptop should be free of any malicious software!